Welcome!

This is the National Association of the Holy Name Society Prison Ministy blog.
Thanks for visiting.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Light of the World

The bible has plenty of what a skeptic might label contradictions, or at best, inconsistencies.  Some of these are due to less-than-accurate translations.  Others due to misinterpretation or unfamiliarity with the writing style of the text's ancient authors.  But some of these are simply passages taken out of context.

John tells us that, despite the grumblings of the Pharisees, Jesus declared: "I am the light of the world." (Jn 8:12)  Yet in today's gospel, we hear what seems to be a direct contradiction as He said to his disciples at the tail end of the Sermon on the Mount: "You are the light of the world." (Mt 5:14)

So, which is it?  Is it Jesus or us, as His disciples, who are the "light of the world"?  Well, I think this would be one of those both/and statements instead of an either/or.  While Jesus is in the world, He is the light of the world.  But we are the light today, here and now.  Just as we continue the saving work of Jesus by being His hands, eyes, heart, and voice today.

St. Paul described our oneness with Jesus in this same fashion, as a body consisting of many parts (see Rom 12:4-5) with Jesus as the Head.  We are all connected and all play our roles.  Furthermore, our works of mercy build up one another -- and ourselves -- as members of His Body, the Church.  He also explains that there are no unimportant or insignificant members of this Mystical Body.  "God has so arranged the body, giving the greater honor to the inferior member, that there be no dissension within the body, but the members may have the same care for one another. If one member suffers, all suffer together with it; if one member is honored, all rejoice together with it." (1 Cor:24-26)

Prison ministry gives us a unique opportunity to build up the Body.  We touch others with the hand of Christ, love others with His heart.  We may be the only contact with Him that He allows at this point in their lives.  Yes, we mourn when they mourn but rejoice when they rejoice.  We find that we too are built up when we build up another -- and are drawn closer to the Head when we draw another close.

Jack and Sophie Weber, the administrators of the Mary Mother of Captives Prison Pen Pal Ministry, recently received this email from one of the pen pals on the outside after receiving word that her long-time prison correspondent had been paroled.

From : Joan
Subject : Prison Ministry
To : mmocsprtgp@aol.com
Thu, May 13, 2010 05:48 PM
Dear Jack:
This e-mail is to confirm my conversation with you during which I requested that I continue to write to my penpal through your organization, now that my pen friend is out on parole. You were so pleased and supportive of my request. As I stated during our conversation, I believe that my inmate/penpal needs my letters more than ever. The devil likes to "attack" when one is on the right track and feeling ONE with our GOOD LORD.
I want to thank you ever so much for honoring my request. As I verbalized in our conversation, writing to someone in prison has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. If it were not for Mary Mother of Captives, I do not think I would have chosen this type of ministry. My penpal told me in one of his letters that he was losing faith in God until he received my letter. He believed that God gave him an angel . . . ME!!!!! Do you have any idea how I felt? I truly felt and believed that I was doing God's work, giving and receiving so much joy.

It has been three years that I have been faithfully writing to my pen friend, and anxiously awaiting his return letters. He saved all my letters and cards, and re-read them before departing the prison walls. I saved each of his letters/cards as well. Each and every letter to me began with praise and thanks. He was (and still is), so grateful for our friendship. I received more joy out of giving. His words were kind and heartfelt. As I had hoped, I was able to help him on his faith journey. Truthfully, he helped me on mine as well.
Words cannot express to you how thankful I am for you providing me, and many others, with this opportunity to serve others. What I have received in return is immeasurable. I look forward to my continuing writing relationship with my penpal. Today I received his letter that you forwarded to me. In it he stated how much he depends on my letters to help him on life's journey. Honestly, his letters to me have put much clarity into my own life.

Thank you ever so much. Blessings to you and Sophie and your continued efforts with Mary Mother of Captives.

Joan

Disciples make disciples.  We are disciples.  We are the results of the evangelizing work of our family, friends, neighbors, and acquaintances.  We are the light of the world -- and we're given use of our hearts and hands, eyes and voices in which to help build up the Body.

"No one after lighting a lamp puts it under a bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let you light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven." (Mt 5:15-16)

No comments:

Post a Comment